Sleep provides amazing benefits to the body.
- It lowers stress
- Improves our mood
- Helps maintain and promote a healthy body weight
- Improves our athletic performance and coordination
- Increases our ability to pay attention and remember new information
But, not a lot of us are getting enough sleep.
In 2011 researchers from the Université Laval released their data that revealed that 40% of Canadians suffer from a sleep disorder.
Our brothers and sisters south of us aren’t doing any better either. The National Sleep Foundation (along with two government agencies) estimated in 2012 that 40 billion Americans suffer from a chronic sleep disorder.
HOW TO IMPROVE YOUR SLEEP
Dr. Heli McPhie, naturopath with The Village Clinic, chatted with me about the best ways to fall asleep and stay asleep.
- Why we aren’t sleeping?
- The one thing you can do RIGHT now to help you sleep better.
- What are DHEA levels and why they are important to help you sleep?
- Sleep hygiene – how this plays a HUGE role in falling asleep.
- What tests should you be taking if you have problems sleeping.
- What natural products are there on the market that will help us sleep, and do they really work?
- How does she coach her clients to better sleep?
- PLUS, she answered some great questions from the audience.
ABOUT DR. MCPHIE
Dr. McPhie’s passion for medicine and healing began at a young age growing up in southern Africa. Building on her love of the natural world and science, Dr. McPhie completed an undergraduate degree in biology at McGill University in Montreal.
She then went on to complete a further four years of study in Naturopathic Medicine at the Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine.
After two years of clinical practice in Toronto, Dr. McPhie returned to Vancouver in 2000.
Since then she has operated a successful family practice, seeing patients of all ages on the west side of Vancouver. She opened her own practice, The Village Clinic, in 2011 in Tsawwassen.
The Village Clinic has since expanded into a collaborative interdisciplinary clinic.
Dr. McPhie treats a wide variety of conditions and ages including digestive disorders, allergies, anxiety, depression, sports injuries, immune disorders, skin conditions, autoimmune disorders, and many other chronic conditions.
The clinic caters to walk in clients and holds flu prevention clinics. Dr. Mcphie utilizes many modalities of practice including nutrition, homeopathy, botanical medicine, use of vitamins and minerals and acupuncture.
CLICK PLAY BELOW TO LISTEN TO THE BLAB INTERVIEW
[audio_player style=”1″ url=”https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.blab.im%2Frec%2Fa9badc8dd0f14ae8ba726ef2cca900c3%2Fmp3%2F8983001ba6144355b32a14d5c0f87526.mp3″]
[social_sharing style=”style-15″ fb_like_url=”http://fitnesswithpj.com/?p=1765″ fb_color=”light” fb_lang=”en_GB” fb_text=”like” fb_button_text=”Share” tw_lang=”en” tw_url=”http://fitnesswithpj.com/?p=1765″ tw_name=”fitnesswithpj” tw_button_text=”Share” g_url=”http://fitnesswithpj.com/?p=1765″ g_lang=”en-GB” g_button_text=”Share” alignment=”center”]