I have been planning and prepping my meals for the week ahead for over 19 years. It has been the one constant in my life, next to loving husband and my eyelash curler (read here about how much I love my eyelash curler).
You need to start planning and prepping, too, especially if you are serious about:
- Eating healthier
- Eating in more than eating out
- Controlling your waistline
- Feeling nourished with the foods that you eat
Cause life it ain’t gonna hand you good food through the week. You gotta plan it, prep it and then grab it for yourself.
Notes about last week’s meals
- Read Week 2 food menu here.
- Last week didn’t quite go according to plan. When I realized on Sunday that I had a lot of yogurt leftover from my Pumpkin Spice Oatmeal I decided to scrap the Herb Frittata with Goat’s Cheese for breakfast and move it to lunch with a BAS (big ass salad). For breakfast I ate the rest of the yogurt with berries and Weeds & Seeds until the yogurt ran out.
- You see I hate throwing away food. So, I am very fluid with my meal planning to adjust for times like these.
- The Herb Frittata with Goat’s Cheese, with the adjustments I stated in my blog last week, was amazing! I ended up using fresh dill and chives, and what a treat. This recipe is a keeper and if you are looking for a high-protein, low carb meal this is it!
- The Crockpot Split Pea and Ham soup was awesome too. Even loving husband enjoyed it. It was so easy to prep, and instead of bacon I cut up two thick slices of deli ham. I also had more than enough to freeze for a future meal. I love it when a recipe works out like that. 🙂
- The White Bean Chicken Chili was good too. Mine wasn’t as thick as she said it would get and I used 3 cans of white beans, not 2.
- This week I am amping up my protein in the AM with this Blueberry Lemon Quinoa hot cereal. Looks great, however if you decide to make it as well be sure to read the reviews (the first one) as the recipe developer added some additional tips to the recipe.
- Subs I will be making: I will not be adding the maple syrup and, instead, will sub in some stevia.
- Reading this made me so THANKFUL that I froze 3 boxes of blueberries from the summer. Love those blueberries!
- Since I did not get a chance to make last week’s lunch choice, Slow Cooker Sweet Potatoe Chicken & Quinoa Soup, I am going to make it this week.
- It just looks too good, and it is too easy to prep, to pass up.
- I will accompany this soup with a BAS (big ass salad), which I will prep at the same time as the soup.
- For your BAS to last a whole week I suggest using hearty veggies like peppers, cut up red/purple cabbage, snap peas, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli and cherry tomatoes (not cut). I always make my salads on Saturday or Sunday and they last me till Thursday/Friday.
- We went for a HUGE hike yesterday. It is one of our faves, but it’s work (it’s a 5 hour hike, 3 hours straight up). So, to con/convince/coerce loving husband to do this hike with me I promised him spaghetti tonight.
- He absolutely LOVES spaghetti, so I will make him a big plate and instead of pasta for me I will roast a cauliflower and some broccoli and put my meat sauce on those.
- It grosses loving husband right out, but I absolutely LOVE this combo. It fills me up, tastes awesome and does not leave me feeling all yucky and bloated – like pasta would afterwards.
- I have been doing this trick for a long time now. Try it, next you are having pasta.
- I am going out on a limb with Monday’s meatless recipe, and if you are unaware of how picky loving husband is you can read his massive list of what he won’t eat here.
- Monday night we are going to have Crockpot Vegan Chili by Holy Cow Vegan Recipes.
- What sold me is she writes vegan recipes that even kids like, and since I described loving husband’s tastebuds to those of a 10-year old boy last week I thought “perfect!”.
- Her chili asks for mushrooms, which I love and he hates, so I will keep them whole so he has an easy time picking them out.
- The recipe also calls for diced tomatoes, which he will not eat, so I will buy crushed tomatoes and use those instead. He loves tomatoe sauce, he just can’t see any semblance of a tomatoe in his meal or he will not eat it.
- Accompanying the vegan chili will be some of the BAS I prepped for the week.
- So, a meal I will love and loving husband will not.
- Loving husband has volleyball tonight and by the time I finish work and my workout I won’t be done till 6:30. So, an easy meal is required.
- Kale salad with grilled salmon.
- I will buy the store-bought, bagged kale salad with the cranberries and pumpkin seeds. Loving husband will eat this one (much to my surprise), so that’s the only one I buy.
- For the salmon, I am addicted to this salmon rub that I buy locally at Coastal Olive Oil. It is the BOMB!! You have to try it.
TRAINER TIP: After you are done sitting and reading this ol’ blog try this 20-minute hamstring stretch and hip opener workout. Your low back, hips, glutes and hamstrings will thank you for it.
- I teach until 7:10pm on Wednesday nights so we usually have left-overs, or I prep a slow cooker meal in the AM.
- Since Monday we already did a crockpot recipe I will pull the healthy version of Pork Fried Rice that I have in the freezer (note: I also added an egg and a half cup of egg whites while stir frying).
- Accompanying that will be the BAS prepped on Sunday.
- Trying some turkey cups tonight, Asian Turkey Lettuce Cups, from Bev Cooks. And, I am making loving husband eat them with lettuce cups too, should be interesting.
- Accompanying the meal will be broccoli-slaw (that awesome bagged and chopped broccoli and cabbage that kinda looks like coleslaw). Yes, loving husband eats this. Surprises the hell out of me, but I do not dare say a word.
- Since Saturday is Halloween we will probably go out tonight. Our fave thing to do is dinner and a movie. Both loving husband and I are movie addicts – so if you ever need a recommendation just email me.
TRAINER TIP: While I love movie theatre popcorn just as much as the next person (I get mine with extra butter and layered so that every handful is a greasy, cardiac-induced hangover), I don’t eat it all the time. Once in a while I go for it, but 75% of the time I don’t. Why? Well, you would be shocked to read how many calories a small popcorn is, and how two quarter pounders with cheese from MacDonald’s would be a better choice than a large popcorn. Read more here, it will shock you!
- Happy Halloween! Alright, that was said a bit sarcastically. I, personally, think Halloween is one of the most dumbest-ass “holidays” ever, but I get it. Some people love it. I am not one of those people so I apologize for raining on the parade of all those Halloween-er’s.
- We do not give out candy on Halloween (surprise, surprise). In fact we keep the lights out – all night. I have given out candy once in my adult life and ended up with half a bowl of chocolate by night’s end. The following week loving husband and I promptly ate it. Neither one of us needs candy, and he definitely does not need any more sugar in his life (he’s sweet enough). So, I don’t buy candy, so then there is no candy leftover and no chance of eating it. Problem solved.
- As for the kids, sorry tykes. But, we don’t have any children ourselves out there trick or treating on other people’s homes so I don’t feel the need to reciprocate by handing out sugar to the neighbourhood’s children.
- I also hate getting dressed up, it’s kinda ridiculous I think.
- And I can’t stand fire crackers. I don’t like loud noises and fire crackers scare Bella. So, tonight we will stay home and chill with baby-Bell and order in take out. And that’s Halloween at our house.
Looking for some tough love training? I’ve got small group classes, one-on-one appointments, and online personal training. In other words – everything you need to get started! Check out my website here.
For more healthy living tips, recipes and workouts please subscribe above to this blog
If you are really interested in getting started on your own weight loss and fitness journey, shoot me an email!
Don’t forget to sign up for my weekly blog by clicking on the box above. I’ve got lots of awesome workouts, exclusive content, and exciting offers available to subscribers only!
TIRED OF TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT WORKOUTS YOU
SHOULD BE DOING?
GRAB MY 21-DAY FITNESS PROGRAM AND LET ME DO THE PROGRAMMING FOR YA.
FIT & FIERCE...
HERE WE COME.